To the European Commission and The governments of Poland, Ukraine and Belarus
This petition is run by the “Save Polesia” coalition
We ask you:
- Not to allocate TEN-T, recovery or any other EU funding for the E40 waterway;
- To abandon the idea to construct E40 waterway given this will impact almost 200 internationally protected areas in Poland, Belarus and Ukraine;
- To protect Polesia’s world class nature and other valuable landscapes along the wild rivers threatened by proposed E40 waterway, including the Natura 2000 sites on the Vistula river in Poland.
Why is this important?
Did you know that Europe has its very own ‘Amazon’? Polesia is a gigantic labyrinth of bogs, swamps and streams. A major spot for biodiversity, the lungs of our continent. 
But plans to build a gigantic shipping channel connecting the Black and Baltic Seas threaten this extraordinary area. It would destroy Polesia’s rivers and wetlands and impact biodiversity hotspots on the Vistula river in Poland, converting 500 km of this largely natural river into a regulated channel. It would also endanger the survival of already threatened European bisons, wolves and lynxes. 
A new barrage across the Vistula river is at the moment prepared for construction in Siarzewo. This would be the first ‘slice’ of E40 waterway. Poland says the barrage is essential for shipping, energy generation and water management. But this is not true. In reality the barrage is not a sustainable transport solution and will have a catastrophic impact on Natura 2000 sites.
What’s worse, some of this could be done with European taxpayers’ money. The European Commission is assigning funding for cross-border water transport mega projects, and this one could be in line for it! But unfortunately very few people know about Europe’s Amazon and the risk of its destruction being potentially funded by EU taxpayers.
If the European Commission sees that tens of thousands of people are against it, it could decide not to fund this horror project and call on Poland to protect Natura 2000 sites at Vistula river. Could you please help by signing the petition and sharing it to everyone you know?
In partnership with:
Save Europe’s Amazon — post on social media now!
Did you know that Europe has its very own ‘Amazon’? Plans to build a gigantic shipping channel threaten this extraordinary area. It would destroy Polesia’s rivers and wetlands and impact biodiversity hotspots on the Vistula river in Poland.
But with the Polish election fast approaching, we have a unique window of opportunity to convince Polish opposition parties to pledge their support for nature. To get them over the line, will you take to social media to help build the pressure?
What to do:
- Take a photo or film a short video of yourself holding a piece of paper with the #WeStopE40 hashtag — if you can, do it in nature (but that’s not compulsory!). Explain briefly what Europe’s Amazon means to you and why you’re calling for Polish political candidates to keep this place protected (check out the templates we’ve provided below!). You don’t have to show your face if you’re feeling camera shy.
- Pick your preferred social media channel — we recommend using Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.
- Keep it public — We’d love to share your post! If you’re ok with that, make sure your account and the individual post is set to public.
- Use the correct tags and hashtags — remember to tag Polish political candidates in your post to make sure they see your message. A list of these tags is below. Using this hashtag, #WeStopE40, will help us find your image or video, so we can share it too.
Now, choose a social media platform to post your photo or video:
- Please tag at least one of these politicians: @donaldtusk, @borysbudka, @barbaranowacka, @zielona_zielinska, @robertbiedron, @szymon.holownia, @kosiniakkamysz, @marcelinazawisza, @adrianzandberg
- Make sure to also tag @WeStopE40 in your post/reel/story so we can share it!
- Please tag at least one of these politicians: @donaldtusk, @BudkaBorys, @BarbaraANowacka, @urszulasarazielinska, @RobertBiedron, @szymonholowniaoficjalny, @kosiniakkamysz, @mmzawisza, @zandberg.razem
- Please tag at least one of these politicians: @donaldtusk, @bbudka, @barbaraanowacka, @Ula_Zielinska, @RobertBiedron, @szymon_holownia, @KosiniakKamysz, @mmzawisza, @ZandbergRAZEM
- Make sure to also tag @savePolesia in your tweet so we can share it!
We have prepared examples of messages that you can use for your post:
- Europe has its own Amazon - Polesia - and Poland has the unique Vistula river. Both are threatened by the construction of a massive waterway. I call for a halt to this dangerous project! #WeStopE40 wemove.eu/SavePolesia
- A massive waterway is set to bulldoze right through Europe's own Amazon. Ahead of the Polish election, all candidates must pledge to protect the precious nature of Polesia and the Vistula river! #WeStopE40 wemove.eu/SavePolesia
- I’m calling on all Polish election candidates to protect Polesia and the Vistula river. Precious nature must not be destroyed to make way for a giant shipping channel. #WeStopE40 wemove.eu/SavePolesia
- The wilderness of Polesia and the majestic Vistula river are threatened by a massive shipping channel. Ahead of the Polish election, I’m urging all candidates to stop this destruction! #WeStopE40 wemove.eu/SavePolesia
Thank you for signing the petition!
It is only together that we can truly be a force to be reckoned with.
The You Move Europe platform is your chance to push for change in Europe: we will host your petition and give you access to sharing tools that will help you boost it. Why not try it now?