EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Federica Mogherini
This petition is run by War Resisters‘ International
Dear Mrs. High Representative for Foreign Affairs Federica Mogherini, in the face of the violence and the human rights violations in Turkey, in particular in those regions of Eastern Turkey affected by the war between the Turkish government and the PKK, the European politicians must not look the other way any longer. We ask you:
- To call on the parties of the conflict, especially the Turkish government and the PKK, for an immediate ceasefire and the resumption of peace negotiations;
- To call on the Turkish government to act in line with all international human rights agreements signed by Turkey, refraining above all from involving the civilian population in the conflict;
- To stop all arms trade to the region;
- To use all channels available to promote the protection of human rights for all citizens of Turkey and the refugees who are currently in Turkey, and the resumption of the peace process.
- To involve the OSCE and to send an observer mission to Turkey.
Why is this important
In August 2015, the violent conflict between the Turkish government and armed Kurdish groups in Turkey resumed after President Erdoğan cancelled the peace process in July. The first results of the already existing peace process were destroyed, and civilians are the victims. The Turkish army is arbitrarily using tanks and heavy weaponry without heed for the safety of the civil population. Parts of towns have been bombarded. There have been hundreds of deaths, curfews in towns and regions inhabited mostly by Kurds lasting several weeks, and severe human rights violations have lead to a humanitarian crisis. Additionally, Turkey is also bombing Kurdish regions in Syria. The situation is likely to become even worse in the weeks to come unless the violence is stopped.
However, European governments are looking the other way: they hope the Turkish government will prevent refugees from reaching the EU, and close the external borders. They also don't want to alienate Turkey as a partner in NATO; Turkey remains an essential NATO base for the war against Daesh in Syria and Iraq. European governments are risking a new refugee tragedy with this policy.
Kati Piri, Rapporteur to Turkey of the EU parliament, visited Diyarbakır in February 2016 and said, "In the South East of Turkey an estimated 400,000 people have had to flee their houses due to heavy fighting and curfews, which in some cities have already lasted for more than two months." Kati Piri wants the EU to call for an immediate ceasefire and the (Turkey-Kurdish) peace process to resume.
Please join us in the above appeal to the European Union.
Thank you for signing the Stop the Cycle of Violence in Turkey! pettion!
It is only together that we can truly be a force to be reckoned with.
The You Move Europe platform is your chance to push for change in Europe: we will host your petition and give you access to sharing tools that will help you boost it. Why not trying it now?